Tuesday, July 24, 2007

New Digg Widgets

When I was browsing Digg today I noticed a new link near the top 10 box on the right side, which mentioned widgets. If you check out the widget link, you might notice that Digg has made it a little easier to add their content to any web page, via widgets. You can check out the blog post about it here.

There are still a few issues however, which luckily makes my blog scheme still relevant for Digg. Through the options in the widget, it still not possible to replicate the widget that is on the front page of Digg -- which displays the top 10 Digg submissions within the past 12 hours. Yesterday, I explained how to use the Digg API to access this information in xml format, and soon I will release the code as well as an explanation of how to organize this data and format it for publishing.

You have to wonder though, if Digg is going to make this widget available to the public, then why don't they include the option to publish the widget that is shown on the front page? It is obviously the most popular, as well as the most viewed. Plus, if it is possible to grab the widget anyway through a bit of work with the API, then wouldn't it just be smart of them to include the option within their own widget?

I don't mind much myself, because I have the ability to make a hacked up form of the widget available to the public -- it just seems that Digg would benefit from making it available themselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Red,

We intended to have the 'Top 10 list' option on the widget match the list on the front page of digg. However, we had a small bug that was causing the lists to mismatch. The option should now return the correct list.

-Kurt W. (digg.com)

Red said...

Kurt,

Good to hear. I checked it out and it definitely seems to be working correctly now. Somewhat sad for me, seeing as this gives me no reason to continue working on the little digg webapp I was making. But, glad to hear you guys got it worked out. =D

-Red